London – Justin Gatlin defended himself against accusations of whether he should still be competing after completing a remarkable comeback to win the men’s world 100 metres and ruin superstar Usain Bolt’s farewell.

The 35-year-old American, who won the world title in 2005 a year after winning the Olympic gold in the Athens Games a year earlier, said he had done his time in serving a four-year ban (2006-10) for doping.

The prospect of Gatlin becoming world champion had made Sebastian Coe, prior to him becoming president of the sport’s governing body the IAAF, feel “queasy”.And the American had been roundly booed when it was announced he had won with Bolt in third.

Whle Gatlin raised a finger to his lips in defiance of their jeering, the crowd then chanted Bolt’s name.

However, Gatlin insisted he was “no bad boy” and said he should be treated like anyone who is given a second chance by society.

© AFP Andrej ISAKOVIC Justin Gatlin of the US reacts after winning the final of the 100m event at the 2017 IAAF World Championships in London, on August 5

© AFP Andrej ISAKOVIC – Justin Gatlin of the US reacts after winning the final of the 100m event at the 2017 IAAF World Championships in London, on August 5