Geelong's Kolodjashnij Breaks Silence on Concussion Waiver Scandal, Stresses Need for Medical Privacy
August 7, 2026
Kolodjashnij expressed disappointment that his private medical information was made public and pressed for medical privacy and confidentiality.
Geelong defender Jake Kolodjashnij publicly addressed a concussion waiver scandal, confirming he participated fully in the AFL’s independent concussion panel process and was comfortable with the outcome, while privately signing the waiver without the AFL or AFL Players Association’s knowledge.
The Geelong Football Club released the statement after CEO Steve Hocking spoke to the media, with Kolodjashnij stressing the need to address ongoing speculation directly.
Hocking characterized the waiver as a thorough, unhurried decision driven by the player’s desire to return to play and the care of his family.
He urged the public to respect his medical data and explained his desire to be openly addressed, issuing a statement through Geelong.
Kolodjashnij thanked his family, the AFL Players Association, his manager, teammates, and the club for support and said he is healthy, feeling good, and focused on contributing for the rest of the season.
He did not play AFL football in 2025 due to injury issues but has resumed playing this season, totaling 11 matches.
Initial reports did not name the player, but later articles identified Kolodjashnij and suggested he could be delisted at season’s end.
The AFL formally requested Geelong to explain the situation, and the club said it would respond to any AFL decisions in the coming days.
Kolodjashnij stated he participated fully in the independent concussion panel process, respected its independence, and continued playing, including reaching 200 career games earlier in the season after missing 2025 due to injuries.
This season he has played 11 AFL games, with his most recent appearance against GWS, and also played for Geelong’s VFL side as recently as the prior Friday; he is listed as an emergency for an upcoming match.
Kolodjashnij has spent his entire AFL career with Geelong since debuting in 2015, accumulating 209 appearances and contributing to Geelong’s 2022 premiership campaign.
Summary based on 3 sources
Get a daily email with more Australia News stories
Sources

The Guardian • Aug 7, 2026
Geelong’s Jake Kolodjashnij outs himself as player who signed AFL concussion waiver
The West Australian • Aug 7, 2026
Jake Kolodjashnij reveals himself as player who signed Geelong concussion waiver
news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site for latest headlines • Aug 7, 2026
Cats star speaks out on concussion scandal